A recent addition to the Dash Cam market is the new RAC 205, an entry-level, front facing Dash Cam that records in Full HD 1080p quality and still photo capability.
The RAC 205 is supplied with a 16GB Micro SD card, allowing for 16 minutes of video for each 1GB of space on the supplied card. It records in 3 segments, but can be adjusted using the simple menu functions of the camera. When the SD card is full, the RAC 205 operates on a loop recording system, and will overwrite the oldest recording and continue without the need to erase or download any data.
The Dash Cam is supplied with a 16GB Micro SD card, a soft storage pouch, a 12-volt charging lead, 360-degree swivel windscreen mount and a handy LED Torch
RAC 205 DASH CAM FEATURES
Discreet Recording – The camera display screen turns off after a short time so that the driver’s view is not interrupted – in the background the camera is recording everything on the road ahead.
Photo Mode – Captures still images as well as video, which could be very useful in an accident or incident in the road. Microphone and Speaker – Sounds and conversations can be recorded, if required. If not, a simple one touch button will mute the microphone.
Emergency Button – When pressed, the current sector of your recording becomes protected, and will not be lost when the camera continues recording. 360º Revolving Cradle – Position your camera in different directions with the rotating mount enclosed in the box.
The RAC 205 can be powered using the supplied power cable connected to a vehicle’s 12-volt power socket or hard-wired.
The RAC 205 performed well in comparison to similar, previously reviewed Dash Cams and was quick to initially set up. Once plugged in through the cigarette lighter/auxiliary socket, the unit powered up and was operational in no time at all.
A very useful feature to mention is the battery life, which is handy to operate the camera while away from a power source. This feature may be useful to review footage in the event of vehicle power failure following an accident.
Once operational, the camera was set into position on the windscreen. Because of the small size of the RAC 205, it is easy to locate it virtually anywhere on the screen without it being too much of a distraction. It is important to note that a Dash Cam must not be placed in the swept area of the windscreen (drivers’ side windscreen wiper zone).
The footage captured with the available light during the early morning commute, the results were more than adequate with number plate definition reaching an acceptable standard of clarity.
The image does however, appear to have a slightly curved appearance when viewed on the built-in screen and when downloaded, somewhat similar to a fish-eye lens which is due to the RAC 205 having a curved lens to encompass 140-degree field of vision.
The buttons, although functional could benefit from being touch sensitive as when pressed by the operator it did tend to push the camera slightly out of position. Fortunately, there is no real need to touch the device once it is in position and operating as normal.
Screen Size: 2.3” LCD Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080p Lens: Full & Glass
Field of Vision: 140˚ Recording Definition: Full HD 1920 x 1080
Micro SD Included: 16GB Micro SD Support: Micro SD card, from class 10 – Up to 32GB
Image Resolution: 14M / 12M / 8M / 5M / 3M / 2M / 1.2M / VGA Megapixels
Video Resolution: Full HD 1920 x1080
Photo Mode: P
G Sensor: P
SOS Data Protection: P
SOS Recording: P
Motion Detection: P
360º Revolving Cradle: P
File Locking: P
Loop Recording Technology: P
Sensor: 2 megapixels
Video Format: MOV
Auto Screen Saver: P
Mute Function: P
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE £114.97
RAC 205 Dash Cam Quick Start Guide
- The RAC 205 Dash Cam is designed to be fitted onto the vehicle windscreen, using the supplied suction pad. The RAC 205 should be attached to the vehicle in car power supply at all times. The internal battery is for emergency use only, for example, to take still pictures in the event of an incident.
- The RAC 205, when connected to the in-vehicle power supply, will turn on and off with the engine. Once it has been set up, it can be left in place without need for adjustment or further setting. The RAC 205 records using loop technology, so when the SD card is full, the RAC 205 will automatically overwrite the oldest files and continue recording indefinitely.
- It is recommended that you check the RAC 205 at least once a month to make sure it is operating and recording properly. The RAC 205 has a screen saver setting, so that after a short time the screen turns off. This setting can be adjusted by accessing the relevant menu setting.
- If you wish to view the footage recorded by the RAC 205 you can do this in two ways: a) remove the SD card from the RAC 205 and, using the supplied SD card reader, insert into a computer. Files can then be viewed in the same way as a digital camera. b) connect the camera to a computer using a sync cable (not supplied). Files can then be viewed in the same way as a digital camera.
RAC 205 Dash Cam Set up Guide
- Everything required to set up and use the RAC 205 is included in the box.
- Connect the suction pad to the RAC 205.
- Insert the USB end of the charging lead into the RAC 205.
- Fit the RAC 205 with suction pad onto the windscreen.
- Any excess cable can normally be tucked into the ceiling of the vehicle.
- Insert the charger end of the charging lead into the in-vehicle power socket.
- Start the engine and the RAC 205 will turn on and start recording immediately.
- If you wish to set the time, or adjust any menu settings, push the OK button, which will stop the RAC 205 recording, and then the MENU button. When you are in the menu, there are 5 different menu settings, the icons for which are located at the bottom of the menu screen. To access each menu, push the MODE button and the relevant menu icon will be highlighted. You can then enter each menu buy using the up and down buttons on the front of the dash cam. The time and date can be set using the last menu on the right.
- Once you have finished using the Menu, exit the Menu by pressing the MENU button (first button on the left) and then push the OK button to start recording.